The Power & Energy Society (PES) provides the world’s largest forum for sharing the latest in technological developments in the electric power industry, for developing standards that guide the development and construction of equipment and systems, and for educating members of the industry and the general public. Members of the Power & Energy Society are leaders in this field, and they — and their employers — derive substantial benefits from involvement with this unique and outstanding association.
The Mission of PES is:
To be the leading provider of scientific and engineering information on electric power and energy for the betterment of society, and the preferred professional development source for our members ~ Approved by the IEEE PES Governing Board, 17 July 2003
PES’ Field of Interest is:
The scope of the Society embraces research, development, planning, design, construction, maintenance, installation and operation of equipment, structures, materials and power systems for the safe, sustainable, economic and reliable conversion, generation, transmission, distribution, storage and usage of electric energy, including its measurement and control.
FORMATION/HISTORY OF IEEE PES BANGALORE CHAPTER
The inauguration of IEEE PES (Previously called as Power Engineering Society) Chapter of Bangalore Section had taken place on 11th April, 2007 at CCAR Complex, Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), Bangalore at 1130 Hrs. Around 30 members participated in the inaugural function of which 23 were IEEE members and 18 were PES members. The inaugural function was followed by lunch and a technical talk on “Increasing Transmission Capacity” by Dr.Rambabu Adapa from EPRI, USA.
Welcoming the participants Shri V.K.Agrawal, GM,SRLDC and Vice Chair of the PES Chapter emphasized the need of electric power utilities and the experienced personnel from the industry and academics to come together to combat the power crisis problem in the country. He had expressed that the platform of IEEE Power Engineering Society would help the task of achieving such goals in the country viz. the way Central Government and Regulatory Authorities brought reforms with special reference to Power Exchanges, Revision of Transmission Tariff, Loss Application and Accounting methodology, Short Term Open Access, Regulations, etc.
As a customary tradition the Power Engineering Society was inaugurated by lighting the lamp by the following dignitaries on the Dias.
- Shri H.L.Bajaj, Member(Technical), Appellate Tribunal Electricity and former IEEE Director of Region 10.
- Shri H.P.Khicha, Chairman, Electrical Science Division, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Past Chairman, IEEE Bangalore Section and Past EXECOM Member of Region 10.
- Dr.Adapa Rambabu, EPRI,USA.
- Dr.A.K.Tripathi, Director General, CPRI and Chairman IEEE Bangalore Section.
- Shri D.G.Sohony, ED, POWERGRID, SRTS-II and Chairman Power Engineering Society Chapter, Bangalore.
In his inaugural speech Shri H.L.Bajaj had congratulated the Chair of Section and PES Chapter and formally declared the following office bearers elected for the PES Chapter, Bangalore.
1. Shri D.G.Sohony, SR-II, POWERGRID as Chairman
2. Shri V.K.Agrawal, SRLDC, POWERGRID as Vice Chairman
3. Shri K.Ramakrishna, SRLDC,POWERGRID as Secretary
4. Shri M Arunachalam, BHEL as Joint Secretary
5. Shri M.M.Babu Narayanan, CPRI as Treasurer